Thursday, May 22, 2014

DIY: Tassel Necklaces



While I am definitely not a jewelry maker, I am pretty pleased with how these necklaces turned out! I made the one on the left as a birthday gift, but the one on the right is all mine. I couldn't believe how easy they were to make! If you are loving the tassel necklace trend that is happening at the moment, you should totally make one.

If you are unsure how to make a tassel, check out this post on Lula Louise. She shows you step-by-step how to make one. I just eyeballed mine - following directions is too much work. =) My tassels are made out of embroidery floss. I love embroidery floss because it is not only inexpensive, but also comes in a myriad of colors. 

For reference, my supplies are pictured below.


I don't use any special needle when threading the beads - just your ordinary hand sewing needle. Double check the beads you purchase to make sure the holes are large enough for a needle to pass through.

 I also think spending money on those fancy "needle threaders" is a sham. See below for an illustration of how to thread your sewing needle with embroidery floss! I like using a needle to string my beads because the ends of the floss don't fray, and threading the beads goes significantly faster.

Make a loop with normal thread (feel free to twist it together so that it can pass through the eye of the needle).  Once the loop is on the other side, slip the embroider floss through the loop. Gently pull the loop back through the eye. Now your needle should be threaded with embroidery floss! Tada!


Let me know what y'all are DIYing! I would love to see pictures!