Monday, July 28, 2014

The Dress That Became A Skirt

Plaid and Tulle


Plaid and tulle

Shirt: Thrifted | Dress: Thrifted (Forever 21) | Bag: Steve Madden | Shoes: Betsey Johnson | Watch: Swiss Army | Bracelets: Kate Spade and Vintage

Have you ever had a dress that you wore so much you got sick of it? That is how this outfit came together. The "skirt" above is really a dress that I wore for two summers until I decided I needed a change. The style wasn't for me anymore, but I couldn't just throw it away because I still liked the bottom half of the dress. Now that I am out of school I have been putting more money into my wardrobe, but last year that was not an option. Getting creative, I decided to make the dress look like a skirt by tying a shirt over it. I also get a significant amount of compliments on this "skirt" - even more so than when it was a dress! I love the plaid and tulle combination because I am always a sucker for mixing masculine and feminine elements together.

P.S. Over the past few months I have been working on getting rid of items in my closet that no longer work for me. If you feel like you have a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear, check out my Wardrobe Warpath post for insights into why your closet might not be working for you.

What are some tricks you have used to make old clothes "new"? I would love to hear about them! 

[ Photo Credit: Autumn Kovach ]