Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Leather Tote Bag

This summer I got the itch to have a new tote bag. I love the little crossbody I made, but I wanted a larger leather bag. I looked around online, but realized I didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars. The solution was to make my own.

This purse is perfect to carry around my laptop and a couple books, and there is also a removable strap to wear it as a crossbody! I am so excited to have this new purse! I will definitely be wearing it in future outfit posts. 



I sojourned to Tandy's Leather where I picked out a double shoulder for $40. It was a great weight, and I liked that the unique color. Below are some process images that show putting rubber cement on pieces, punching holes for rivets, and choosing stitch size.

The right tools are a must, and making sure your sewing machine is set on the correct stitch length is imperative. With leather you really only have one shot because you can't remove the needle holes in the hide. It is a bit like chess, you always has to think several steps ahead. I also treated the bag with leather protector and gave it a couple once overs with saddle soap to get the nice finish you see above.