Wednesday, April 15, 2015

2015 Summer Wardrobe Essentials



Hi friends!
Today I'm going to share the pieces I've added to my wardrobe for the summer. This year I decided to be more strategic about the key pieces I wanted to add. Last year I was still trying to decide what my style was, so I only wore one pair of jean shorts and a couple tee shirts. This year I'm pulling myself together. While I didn't exactly follow my mood board that I created, I feel really great about what I picked. I realize that there is a reason I don't wear pale, warm tones is because they don't really look great on me. I continually fool myself into believing I can wear cream and blush pink, but I can't. Ultimate sadness. However, I feel like the shoes and bag I purchased add elements of the mood board to my style.

What is great about the 9 pieces above is that they are perfect for mixing and matching. Similar to these pieces I posted last year, they strategically maximize my wardrobe.

Tees - I love gray and white because I think white can go dressier and gray is a great casual color. You really can't go wrong with a couple v-neck tees in your closet. I like to snag these Madewell ones when they are on sale.

Tanks - I definitely was missing tanks in my closet last year. I decided to find two tanks that were a little dressier than the tees, and also had some visual interest. One of the tanks has embroidery and the other has metallic embellishments. I found these on the J.Crew sale rack.

Shorts - This year I wanted a pair of shorts that had a little longer inseam. I love the rolled cuff shorts because I can unroll them when riding on my bike, or roll them up when it is super hot outside. I also appreciate that they are visually different than the other pair of jean shorts I have (the ones that I wore all last summer). I found these Loft shorts when they were running a 50% off the store sale.

Skirt - I have been on the hunt for a black knit skirt I can wear casually, but also if I want to dress up. Luckily, Madewell's sale rack had the best black skirt! If there is one piece that is worth hunting for, it is a great fitting black skirt.

Shoes - Minnetonka Moccasins and Birkenstocks are new to my closet. Last year I got a cheap knockoff pair of Birkenstocks that I wore until they fell apart. This year we are going with the real deal. I love having both a comfortable sandal and a great close-toed summer shoe. The moccasins are incredibly comfortable, and totally appropriate as I live in the state they are made in. I scored these two pairs of shoes for over half off at two different consignment stores. Both pairs were new, I couldn't believe my luck!

Bag - This beautiful bag was my splurge. I decided that I was not going to buy another $40 bag that would fall apart after a few months. This Madewell bag fits my laptop and is a nice dark color (so it doesn't show wear). I decided that, with care, this bag will last me a long time and will be totally worth the investment. So far I have no regrets.

What have you added to your closet for the summer?