Monday, May 18, 2015

3 Ways To Be Inspired


Today I wanted to talk a little about inspiration. Lately I’ve been in a bit of an inspiration slump. I feel like the past few months I’ve spent every spare moment on working on my website, networking, doing commission pieces, transitioning into a new job, etc. All of these things are great, but I am now tired. I think the stress of deadlines and mounting work has slowly depleted my inspiration bucket. Below are 3 things to do when your inspiration bucket is dry.

1. Give Yourself A Break

This is the hardest thing for me to do. I feel like I should be always doing something. I hold myself to an impossible standard with lofty goals, but I don’t give myself time to sit down, drink a beer, and watch a movie. Sometimes you just need to put down the pencil and walk away. The project will still be there tomorrow. Stepping away from work allows you to approach it later with a fresh perspective.

2. Do Something New 

Inspiration can strike when you get out of your box. Curate an adventurous spirit. Try a new restaurant! Visit a museum! Read a book! If you continue to do the same thing over and over you are never going to grow. Be passionately curious and a student of the world. Growing as a person makes you grow as an artist.

3. Talk With Other Creatives

Don’t live in your own artistic world, go join the artist community. Find other people who are also passionate to create and grow. It doesn’t matter if the community is local or online, find a group and become involved. Have real conversations and honestly share when you are feeling stuck or discouraged. Encouragement from peers can be the best thing for an empty inspiration bucket. 

I hope this post is encouraging to you! I’m now going to go and practice what I preach. Have a wonderful Monday!